(This is just a small excerpt. The original source came from: http://www.bteg.com/oldnews.html)
I want to hump Ken Silverman's leg. Posted By Fortyseven on 2/2/2000
Ken Silverman: Codesmith. Composer. Scientist. Athlete. Lover.
If there's one thing that gets my goat, it's someone who's successful and isn't quite modest about it. Specifically Ken Silverman.
Yes, the guy behind Duke Nukem 3D's BUILD engine, who's homepage URL was posted on Blues not too long ago, lets us all know about, not only his experiences with 3D Realms, but also:
Aside from these shockingly amazing tales, he also discloses:
- The history of what computer's he's possessed since 1983.
- His complete college schedule since 1993.
- How much time he spent away from home during his romance with 3DR, including flight leaving/return dates.
- The entire story of his life from 1975 until 1999.
- And many many more things you couldn't give a rats ass about.
Seriously though, despite the overflow of mind numbingly useless information, to his credit he does disclose a lot of interesting behind the scenes information about working with a game developer. He also has several zip's of older prototype versions of Build along with copies of pre- and post-Epic Megagames versions of Ken's Labyrinth, including the full retail version. If, for some bizarre unfathomable reason, QuickBasic is your thing, you'll find a somewhat nice collection of 3D code if you can wade through the shameless self-promotion.
- ...how, in this day and age, he actually didn't learn about computers and programming from a college course. (Yowzers!)
- ...the notorious clause in his 3D Realms contract maintaining that his work can't interfere with his schooling!
- ...how he impresses his CS15 instructor, Andy van Dam with examples of his work!
- ...his secret plan for June 8th of 2004!
- ...his Weird Al fetish!
- ...his Quake alter ego "Awesoken"! (Awesome + Ken! Such simplicity. Such genius!)